Resource packages are self-contained bundles of resources ("add-ons") that the user may optionally load. An example of a package is the "jDRP". Historically packages have been managed by Snowberry, but in the future this will be the responsibility of libdeng2.
The name of the class that represents a resource package in libdeng2 should be called de::Package.
- Packages can be loaded and unloaded using the engine's package manager UI (or console commands).
- The package manager can be used to define the priority order of the packages.
- The package manager can acquire new packages from an online repository.
- The package manager handles the installation and uninstallation of packages on the local system.
- Package file formats are described in addon formats.
- WAD files can be considered a resource package format. Is there an opportunity here to streamline the FS architecture?
- WAD is analogous to Zip and the two are already modelled with a polymorphic OO class hierarchy (derived from de::File). How might this be bettered? --danij 03:12, 1 March 2013 (UTC)