A multiplayer server is an instance of doomsday-server running as a background process.
How to set up a server
- Both client and server should have the same WAD file. For instance: the identification number for doom2.wad v1.9 is f36acb. While the game will 'work' with differing wad files, differences in geometry can have players spawning outside the map or in walls etc.
Best thing to do is to set up a .cfg file where you set all the suitable console variables for the server. Things you will need...
- autoexec.cfg (create yourself) and put the customized cvars from below into it.
- TCP port 13209 "open" — to find out how to open your ports see http://portforward.com/
In the "autoexec.cfg" put the lines below:
net-ip-port 13209 server-game-deathmatch 1 server-game-nomonsters 1 server-name "Dew's Deathmatch game!" server-info "Come join my game" server-player-limit 8 server-public 1 setmap 1 1
Note: server-public 1 makes the server visible to all on the master server.
Possible cvars for the .cfg file
To find all variables and commands containing the word "server", you can use the command:
Below is a brief list of supported variables:
server-game-jump = 1 server-game-map = 0 server-game-mapcycle = "T:10 12* 11 17 18 19" server-game-mapcycle-noexit = 1 server-game-mod-damage = 1 server-game-mod-gravity = -1 server-game-mod-health = 1 server-game-monster-meleeattack-nomaxz = 0 server-game-nobfg = 0 server-game-nomonsters = 1 server-game-noteamdamage = 0 server-game-radiusattack-nomaxz = 0 server-game-respawn = 0 server-game-respawn-monsters-nightmare = 1 server-game-skill = 3 server-info = "come join my game" server-latencies = 0 server-name = "Example's deathmatch game" server-password = "" server-player-limit = 6 server-public = 1
net-dev = 0 net-ip-address = "" net-ip-port = 13209 net-master-address = "www.dengine.net" net-master-path = "/master.php" net-master-port = 13209 net-name = "" net-nosleep = 0 net-queue-show = 0
game-fastmonsters = 0
On the desktop
In a terminal / command line
In Unix, please refer to the manual page doomsday-server(6) for more information.
- Specifying a game is mandatory (with -game).
- Configure the TCP (net-ip-port) port number. The default port number is 13209.
- This step has to be done only once because the port numbers are saved automatically into the game config file. You may also wish to write your own .cfg startup script that executes all the necessary commands.
- The current map can be changed with
doomsday-server -game doom2 -iwad ~/games/doom/DOOM2.WAD \ -file ~/games/doom/dwango5.wad -p ~/.doomsday/conf/autoexec.cfg
Automatic map cycling
Specify a mapcycle:
server-game-mapcycle "T:10 1* 11 17 18 19"
Note: See Map cycling for a description of the syntax.
Start the cycle:
Stop the cycle:
- doomsday-host: Unix script for running dedicated servers in the background